At UUCOV we believe that honest, accurate, developmentally appropriate information about sexuality changes lives and it starts with educating children. For this reason and more, we are proud to offer Our Whole Lives (OWL), a comprehensive, lifespan sexuality education curricula for use in both secular settings and faith communities.
Our Whole Lives
- is a series of sexuality education programs for six age groups: grades K-1, grades 4-6, grades 7-9, grades 10-12, Young Adults and Adults. The resources are written by professional sexuality educators and provide accurate information for parents and teachers to be used in secular settings or in faith communities.
- The resources are based on the Guidelines for Comprehensive Sexuality Education produced by the National Guidelines Task Force, a group of leading health, education and sexuality professionals assembled by the Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States.
- There is a Parent Guide to Our Whole Lives Grades K-1 and Grades 4-6 that accompanies the Our Whole Lives resource for those age levels. Our Whole Lives Grades 4-6 also uses the book, It's Perfectly Normal, by Robie Harris.
Our Whole Lives Offers...
- Accurate information presented in developmentally appropriate ways
- Affective and emotional learning
- Guiding values and principles
- Activities that help participants clarify values and improve decision-making skills
- A safe and supportive peer group
- Acceptance of diversity
- A social justice approach to inclusive sexuality education
- Step-by-step instructions for program promotion, implementation, and facilitation
- Parent orientation that affirms parents as their children’s primary sexuality educators
- Facilitator trainings and continuing education to increase knowledge, skills, confidence
- Expert user support from OWL Program Associate (UUA) and OWL Program Coordinator (UCC)
Our Whole Lives Values...
While Our Whole Lives is secular, it is not value-free. The program gives clear messages about the following key sexuality issues:
- self worth
- sexual health
- justice and inclusivity
Our Whole Lives recognizes and respects the diversity of participants with respect to biological sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and disability status. The activities and language used throughout the program have been carefully chosen to be as inclusive as possible of this human diversity.
All of the OWL facilitators at UUCOV have attended an intensive training for OWL facilitators, and have passed a background check. They are all dedicated to the safety of our young people and their spiritual growth.
- Interview with Norman A. Constantine, Ph.D.: Director of the Center for Research on Adolescent Health and Development at the Public Health Institute in Oakland, California, and Clinical Professor of Community Health and Human Development at the UC Berkeley School of Public Health
- The case for starting sex education in kindergarten (PBS)
- OWL Parent and Guardian Information